- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large leeks, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk, at room temperature
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Gruyčre cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 (5- to 5.5-ounce) cans oil-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
How to Make It
Cook egg noodles until al dente according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, covered, 7 minutes or until tender but not browned. Whisk in flour; cook 1 minute. Pour in milk; bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 3 minutes or until sauce is smooth and thickened.
Remove from heat, and whisk in cheese and next 3 ingredients. Fold in tuna and egg noodles. Pour into a greased 3-quart baking dish.
Combine olive oil, garlic, and panko; sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.