Lemony Squash Bread
The addition of squash sneaks extra vitamins into this cakelike bread. Be sure to purchase a 6-ounce carton of lemon yogurt rather than an 8-ounce one.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
- Calories: 193
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 34.2g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 287mg
- Calcium: 61mg
- 2/3 cup shredded yellow squash (about 1 small)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (6-ounce) carton lemon low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon rind
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Press squash between several layers of paper towels to absorb excess moisture. Fluff squash with a fork, and toss with 2 tablespoons flour; set aside.
- 3. Lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- 4. Beat butter with a mixer at medium speed until creamy; gradually add granulated sugar. Add eggs, and beat at medium speed just until blended. Combine yogurt and milk in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with yogurt mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in squash and lemon rind. Spoon batter into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 6. Combine lemon juice and powdered sugar, stirring with a whisk; pour over loaf.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note