Fresh, refreshing and lightweight. A lovely warm-weather, light-weight meal.
Lemony Quinoa Salad with Shaved Vegetables
The Good News: Eating quinoa is a great way for vegetarians to get protein. Jeremy Fox tosses nutty-tasting quinoa with crunchy shaved vegetables for a refreshing salad loaded with vitamins and minerals.
- 8 large red radishes or 1 large watermelon radish
- 1 small black radish
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cored
- 1 cup quinoa, preferably red rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Using a mandoline, thinly slice the radishes, carrot and fennel bulb. Transfer to a large bowl of ice water and refrigerate for about 1 hour, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Drain and dry the vegetables. In a bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice with the oil. Add the quinoa and toss; season with salt and pepper. Serve the quinoa in bowls, topped with the vegetables.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note