I registered just so I could review this recipe because this is probably my sister's and my favorite recipe from Sunset magazine - and there are many we like! It is delicious, fast, and healthy - plus made with ingredients I usually have on hand. Good with brown rice and a green salad or naan for a treat. Top of the list for comfort food! Okay with oil and vegetable broth as substitutes but not as good.
Even the lentil skeptics in our kitchen loved this bright, zingy stew. Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes prep, plus about 25 minutes cook time.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 276
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 39g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Sodium: 118mg
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups yellow or brown lentils, sorted for debris and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Grated peel from 1 lemon (yellow part only)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped cilantro and lemon wedges
- 1. Melt butter in a 3-quart pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir until just beginning to brown, about 1 minute.
- 2. Add lentils and stir to coat with butter, then add broth. Simmer, covered, until lentils are tender but not mushy, 20 to 30 minutes. They will thicken as they cool.
- 3. Stir in ginger, lemon peel, juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges on the side.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables