I registered just so I could review this recipe because this is probably my sister's and my favorite recipe from Sunset magazine - and there are many we like! It is delicious, fast, and healthy - plus made with ingredients I usually have on hand. Good with brown rice and a green salad or naan for a treat. Top of the list for comfort food! Okay with oil and vegetable broth as substitutes but not as good.
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 276
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 39g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Sodium: 118mg
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups yellow or brown lentils, sorted for debris and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Grated peel from 1 lemon (yellow part only)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped cilantro and lemon wedges
- 1. Melt butter in a 3-quart pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir until just beginning to brown, about 1 minute.
- 2. Add lentils and stir to coat with butter, then add broth. Simmer, covered, until lentils are tender but not mushy, 20 to 30 minutes. They will thicken as they cool.
- 3. Stir in ginger, lemon peel, juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges on the side.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables