Great base for my hot & sour chicken soup.. Good as soup with mushrooms, chicken, scallions & cilantro.
Lemony, Fragrant Chicken Broth
Delicious on its own or in recipes that call for broth. For a main-dish soup, pick the chicken meat off the bones, and add it and 1 1/2 cups cooked rice to the broth.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 9 Hours, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 19
- Fat: 0.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 0.3g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 210mg
- Calcium: 2mg
- 8 cups water
- 2 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken leg quarters
- 3 stalks fresh lemongrass
- 4 (1/4-inch) slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. Combine 8 cups water and chicken leg quarters in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, skimming and discarding foam as needed. Reduce heat to low.
- 2. Trim and discard root end of lemongrass stalks; discard toughest outer leaves. Smash stalks with the flat side of a knife. Add lemongrass, ginger, garlic, and peppercorns to pan. Partially cover, and simmer 50 minutes, skimming and discarding foam as needed. Remove chicken from pan using a slotted spoon; reserve for another use.
- 3. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined colander; discard solids. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Skim solid fat from surface; discard.
- 4. Heat the broth in Dutch oven over medium heat, and stir in salt. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note