Lemony Coconut Bars
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: These bar cookies can be chilled airtight for up to 3 days. Bring them to room temperature before serving.
Yield: Makes about 60 bars
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 93
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 1.2g
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 57mg
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded dried coconut
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Lemon glaze (recipe follows)
- 1. In a bowl, mix 1 3/4 cups flour and 1/4 cup brown sugar. With your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Spread mixture evenly over the bottom of a 10- by 15-inch baking pan; firmly press into a smooth layer. Bake in a 350° oven until slightly dry to the touch, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat eggs lightly. Beat in salt, baking powder, remaining 1 cup brown sugar, and remaining 1/4 cup flour. Stir in walnuts, coconut, and lemon juice. Spread over baked crust and return to oven; bake until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately brush with lemon glaze.
- 3. Let cool completely on a rack, then cut into 60 bars.
- Lemon glaze. In a bowl, mix 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon warm water until smooth.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per bar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note