I didn't make recipe exactly as stated because I somehow didn't pay close attention to the directions. But aside from being too lemony, it turned out well and I'd make again with less lemon juice. Because I cook a lot with Rice a Roni, my eyes translated the long grain rice for long grain and wild rice, lol. Once I realized the mistake, and the boxed rice being all I had on hand, I went ahead with it. It took three boxes to measure two cups. I also didn't realize I had to split the butter and used all of it for the onions and garlic. No problem, I just strained and still had plenty to brown the chicken. I seasoned with a little sea salt but will cut salt altogether next time because I opted to go ahead and use the seasoning packets that came with the rice. I didn't use fresh parsley because there is dried in the seasoning packs. After reading that cooking on low didn't cook the rice well, I cooked on high for about the same amount of time and the rice turned out perfectly.
Lemony Chicken Breasts with Rice
Chicken and rice are perfect dinner partners, so simplify your dinnertime prep by cooking them together in the slow cooker. All you need to add is a simple side dish, such as microwave-steamed veggies, and you've got a meal.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 534
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Protein: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 80g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Sodium: 323mg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Scrape into slow cooker.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt. Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in skillet over medium high heat until foaming. Add chicken breast halves and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add 1 cup broth and lemon juice to skillet and bring to a boil, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Add to the slow cooker, along with remaining broth, rice and 1 tsp. salt. Stir, cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender, 2 to 3 hours. Remove chicken, stir parsley into rice and season with salt and pepper. Divide rice onto 4 plates and top each with a piece of chicken; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note