Lemony Beef Liver with White Grits
Community Recipe from
- Lemony Liver
- 1 pound(s) Beef Liver Cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup(s) Buttermilk
- 4 strip(s) Bacon strips
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoon(s) Dried dill weed
- 2 pinch(s) Salt, to taste
- 2 pinch(s) Pepper, fresh ground
- 5 tablespoon(s) Butter
- 4 tablespoon(s) Lemon Juice (amount from 1 large lemon is fine)
- 1 whole(s) Zest from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon(s) Fresh parsley (optional) Chopped
- Cheesy grits
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Water
- 1/2 cup(s) White Grits
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 1/2 cup(s) Cheese, a grassy mild cow or soft goat (optional) Shredded
- Advance Prep
- Rinse liver, cut into pieces, place in plastic ziplock with enough buttermilk to cover. Refridgerate for at least 1 hour (may use regular milk)
- For Liver
- Cook bacon until crisp in large skillet.
- Drain bacon on paper towel & crumble.
- You may remove some of the bacon fat but leave a generous amount, do not clean skillet.
- Combine flour, dill, salt& pepper in a paper bag.
- Add liver and coat well, shake off any excess flour.
- Fry liver in the "bacon" skillet over high heat until crisp on outside but still moist inside (about 4-6 minutes).
- Remove liver but keep warm.
- Discard fat from skillet but do not scrape the pan.
- Over medium heat melt butter scraping in all the brown bits.
- Stir in lemon juice and crumbled bacon.
- Put liver back in the pan to ensure it is hot.
- For grits
- Bring water, butter & salt to boil in sauce pan. Add grits. Return to boil. Turn heat as low as possible, cover and cook 20-25 min, stirring frequently. Add milk. Cook 10 more minutes or until liquid is absorbed and grits have a soft consistency. Stirring frequently. Add cheese (if using) and a bit of lemon zest. Stir to melt cheese.
- Plating /serving
- Place grits in center of dinner plate, top with liver mixture. Sprinkle with lemon zest & parsley and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by PKcookin and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note