really nice flavor, i use it on chicken, in sandwiches as a spread, in sauces and just as a chutney. extremely easy to make, i found that i needed to cook it on the stove top for an hour to achieve that nice golden color, thick texture, and deep flavor.
This unusual relish is reminiscent of Middle Eastern condiments, particularly those made with preserved lemon. While it will go well with roasted chicken or any grilled entrée, you can also use it as a spread on sandwiches.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 60
- Calories from fat: 2%
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 15.7g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 54mg
- Calcium: 11mg
- 6 cups shredded zucchini (about 6 medium)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large lemon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Place zucchini in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Toss well. Drain 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. Place zucchini on paper towels; squeeze until barely moist.
- Carefully remove rind from lemon using a vegetable peeler, making sure to avoid white pithy part of the rind. Place rind in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until rind is tender. Drain; cool. Finely chop rind.
- Combine zucchini, rind, onion, and the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Cool; pour into airtight containers.
- Note: Refrigerate Lemon-Zucchini Relish in airtight containers up to a month.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note