"Oil and lemon juice separate, so when you add them to a salad, some leaves have mostly lemon, and the others, mostly oil," says chef Jesse Schenker of Recette in New York City. He relies on xanthan gum for perfectly emulsified vinaigrettes that coat evenly.
Yield: 1 1/4 cups
More From Food & Wine
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 gram (1/4 teaspoon) xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground white pepper
- In a blender, mix the fresh lemon juice and cold water at low speed. With the blender on, add the xanthan gum and blend until the liquid is slightly thickened, about 15 seconds. Increase the blender speed to medium and slowly add the grapeseed oil, and then the extra-virgin olive oil, in a thin stream and blend until creamy. Season with salt and white pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note