Went 30 minutes on the cake and omitted the water. Also recommend sifting the flour over the eggs & sugar, then gently folding it in . I simply sliced ripe strawberries rather than making a sugary sauce. You can poke a few holes with toothpick on top of the cake when it comes out of the over and sprinkle about 2 TB of a liqueur or rum, too. I have also made this recipe with the grated peel of one small orange. This cake looks very fancy, but is so easy!
Lemon Sponge Cake with Strawberry Filling
In this rendition of shortcake, berry sauce and creamy topping pile on the sweetness.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 213
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 43.6g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 135mg
- Calcium: 66mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Remaining Ingredients:
- 2 cups sliced strawberries, divided
- 1 cup frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Beat eggs in a large bowl with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until thick and pale (about 4 minutes). Add 1/4 cup water, rind, 1 tablespoon juice, and vanilla, beating at low speed until blended. Add flour mixture, beating just until blended. Pour the batter into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare sauce, combine chopped strawberries, 1/3 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice in a medium nonaluminum saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 15 minutes). Cool.
- Split cake in half horizontally using a serrated knife; place bottom cake layer, cut side up, on a plate. Spread with 6 tablespoons sauce. Top with 1 cup sliced strawberries and 1/2 cup whipped topping. Top with remaining cake layer. Repeat layers with remaining sauce, sliced strawberries, and whipped topping. Cut into 8 slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Lemon Sponge Cake with Strawberry Filling Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This