- Pastry for 1 double-crust (9-inch) pie
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
How to Make It
Roll half of pastry to 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Set aside.
Grate rind from lemon; set rind aside. Cut lemon into thin slices; remove and discard seeds and any remaining rind from slices. Set lemon slices aside.
Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, flour, and salt in a large mixing bowl; add butter, eggs, and lemon juice, stirring well. Add reserved grated lemon rind and slices, stirring well. Pour lemon mixture into pastry shell.
Roll remaining pastry to 1/2- inch thickness, and place over filling. Trim edges of pastry; seal and flute. Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape. Brush pastry lightly with beaten egg white; sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°, and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let cool before slicing.