Lemon-Scented Geranium Cake
- Cooking spray
- 9 lemon geranium leaves
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Powdered sugar
- Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Place 6 or 7 geranium leaves, dull side up, in bottom of pan; set aside.
- Mince remaining 2 or 3 leaves, and set them aside.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in lemon juice. Add milk, and beat at low speed until blended. (Batter will look curdled.)
- Combine flour and baking powder. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in lemon zest and minced leaves.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 30 minutes. Invert to remove cake; cool completely on wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This