I have made this turkey every year since this issue came out and am regularly told that is the best turkey my guests have ever had.
Lemon-Sage Turkey with Wild-Mushroom Gravy
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner
Remember to reserve the drippings from the bottom of the pan. You will use them to make the gravy.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 6 ounces turkey and 1/4 cup gravy)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 308
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 53.4g
- Carbohydrate: 5.8g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 147mg
- Iron: 4.9mg
- Sodium: 460mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- 2 (16-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Cooking spray
- Wild-Mushroom Gravy
- Combine first 6 ingredients; set aside.
- Remove and discard giblets from turkey, reserving neck for gravy. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey. Rub spice mixture under loosened skin; rub into the body cavity.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Pour 1 can of broth in bottom of a shallow roasting pan. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack coated with cooking spray. Place rack in roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours. Carefully pour 1 can of broth into pan. Bake an additional 1 1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 180°. Remove turkey from oven; reserve pan drippings to make gravy. Cover turkey loosely with foil; let stand 15 to 20 minutes. Discard skin. Serve with Wild-Mushroom Gravy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes