- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 3 to 4 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
- Tart Lemon Filling
- Additional sifted powdered sugar
- Grease a 15- x 10- x 1-inch jellyroll pan with vegetable oil, and line with waxed paper. Grease waxed paper with vegetable oil; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored; gradually add sugar, beating constantly. Stir in lemon rind and juice.
- Beat egg whites, (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form. Fold yolk mixture into whites. Combine flour and salt; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Sift 3 to 4 tablespoons powdered sugar in a 15- x 10-inch rectangle on a linen towel. When cake is done, immediately loosen from sides of pan, and turn out onto sugar. Peel off waxed paper. Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel together; cool on a wire rack, seam side down.
- Unroll cake and remove towel. Spread with Tart Lemon Filling; reroll. Place on serving plate, seam side down; sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar. Chill at least 1 hour before serving .
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This