These are amazing! I make them all the time and just eat them with a little powdered sugar. The only thing I do different is add a lot more lemon zest. It makes it MUCH better. I use 2 tablespoons at least, you could probably even do 2 and a half tablespoons. Without the extra zest, they just taste like regular pancakes with a very very small hint of lemon.
Notes: This is our adaptation of Crest Cafe's (San Diego, California) lemon-ricotta pancakes, which are served with fresh strawberries and bananas. Top the bananas with a sprinkling of grated lemon peel and offer warm maple syrup to drizzle over the fruit and cakes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 318
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 759mg
- Cholesterol: 116mg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Salad oil
- 1. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg yolks, and lemon peel to blend. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until evenly moistened. Gently stir in ricotta cheese.
- 2. In a bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. With a flexible spatula, gently fold the whites into the batter just until they are incorporated.
- 3. Place a nonstick griddle or a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat (350°); when hot, coat lightly with oil and adjust heat to maintain temperature. Drop batter in 1/2-cup portions onto the griddle and cook until pancakes are browned on the bottom and edges begin to look dry, about 2 minutes; turn cakes with a wide spatula and brown other sides, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes longer. Coat pan with more oil as necessary to cook remaining pancakes.
- 4. Serve pancakes as cooked, or keep warm in a single layer on baking sheets in a 200° oven for up to 15 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note