I was really looking forward to making these, since previous reviews were so consistently favorable. Unfortunately, these were not so wonderful. It took a little extra time to mix the batter, but that wasn't a problem. However, the cooking process was very particular -- either the outside was too brown or the inside of the pancake just did not cook fully. And then the few that were okay to eat just did not taste that great. Big disappointment.
Notes: This is our adaptation of Crest Cafe's (San Diego, California) lemon-ricotta pancakes, which are served with fresh strawberries and bananas. Top the bananas with a sprinkling of grated lemon peel and offer warm maple syrup to drizzle over the fruit and cakes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 318
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 759mg
- Cholesterol: 116mg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Salad oil
- 1. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg yolks, and lemon peel to blend. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until evenly moistened. Gently stir in ricotta cheese.
- 2. In a bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. With a flexible spatula, gently fold the whites into the batter just until they are incorporated.
- 3. Place a nonstick griddle or a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat (350°); when hot, coat lightly with oil and adjust heat to maintain temperature. Drop batter in 1/2-cup portions onto the griddle and cook until pancakes are browned on the bottom and edges begin to look dry, about 2 minutes; turn cakes with a wide spatula and brown other sides, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes longer. Coat pan with more oil as necessary to cook remaining pancakes.
- 4. Serve pancakes as cooked, or keep warm in a single layer on baking sheets in a 200° oven for up to 15 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This