Lemon Pudding Cake
Photo: Leo Gong; Styling: Karen Shinto
The bright-flavored batter separates into a sponge cake layer atop a pudding bottom. Prep and Cook Time: 1 hour, plus cooling time.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 160
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 3.8g
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 278mg
- Cholesterol: 87mg
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Set 6 ramekins (6 oz. each) in a 9- by 13-in. baking pan. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy. Stir in flour, milk, butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- 3. In a large, clean bowl, whip egg whites and salt until firm (but not dry) peaks form. Stir one-quarter of beaten whites into egg yolk mixture until blended, then gently fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Pour batter into ramekins. Pour enough hot water into the baking pan to come 1 in. up sides of the ramekins.
- 5. Bake until cake layers are set and tops are lightly golden, about 30 minutes. Remove ramekins from water bath and let cool to room temperature before serving.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts