Excellent. Light and fluffy. Didn't have any "baking mix" and don't trust packaged foods anyway so I used 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 T baking powder, 1/2 t salt, 2-3 T sugar, depending on how sweet you like them. If using syrup, 2T is plenty. Without syrup or any other topping, 3T is better.
Lemon-Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles with Blackberry Maple Syrup
More From Southern Living
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups cold club soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Blackberry Maple Syrup
- Crème fraîche (optional)
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
- 1. Stir together baking mix, poppy seeds, and lemon zest. Whisk together club soda, egg, and butter in a small bowl; gently whisk egg mixture into poppy seed mixture. (Mixture will be lumpy.) Let stand 3 minutes.
- 2. Cook batter in a preheated, oiled Belgian-style waffle iron until golden (about 3/4 to 1 cup batter each). Serve with Blackberry Maple Syrup and, if desired, crème fraîche. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: If you don't have a Belgian-style waffle iron, use 1/2 cup batter for each waffle in a traditional waffle iron.
- Try This Twist!
- Lemon-Poppy Seed Pancakes: Prepare batter as directed. Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or large nonstick skillet. Cook pancakes 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked; turn and cook other side.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads