Lemon Poppy-Seed Layer Cake
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
- 3 cup(s) cake flour
- coconut butter cream frosting (see recipe)
- 3 tablespoon(s) finely shredded lemon peel from 3 large lemons
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
- Fresh strawberries
- 4 large eggs
- Lemon curd (see recipe)
- 2 teaspoon(s) lemon extract
- 4 cup(s) natural raw chip coconut toasted
- 3 tablespoon(s) poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon(s) salt
- 1-3/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 cup(s) unsalted buter, softened
- Prepare Lemon Curd. Cover; chill at least 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two (9x1-1/2 inch) round baking pans. Set aside.
- In very large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, and lemon peel on medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice and lemon extract. (Mixture may look curdled.)
- In another large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Fold in poppy seeds.
- Divide cake batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely. When cakes are cool, trim tops of cakes if necessary to make them flat. Split cakes in half horizontally to create four cake rounds.
- To assemble, place one cake round on cake plate. Spread with 1 scant cup Lemon Curd. Top curd with another cake round and another scant cup of curd. Repeat with third cake round and the remaining curd. Top curd with last cake round.
- Frost top and sides of cake with Coconut Buttercream Frosting. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top of cake and press into sides of cake. Serve immediately with fresh strawberries, or store cake in refrigerator. Let chilled cake stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving. Makes 12 to 16 servings,
- Lemon Curd:
- In large saucepan stir together 1-1/3 cups sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Stir in 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel, 3/4 cup lemon juice, and 1/2 cup water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- In large bowl lightly beat 7 egg yolks. Slowly stir about half of hot lemon juice mixture into eggs. Return lemon-egg mixture to saucepan. Cook, stirring continuously over medium heat until mixture comes to gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until melted and well combined. Cover surface of curd with waxed paper or plastic wrap. Chill curd at least 8 hours or until firm. Makes a scant 3 cups lemon curd.
- Coconut Butter Cream Frosting:
- In large mixing bowl beat 1 cup softened butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually beat in 2 cups powdered sugar. Beat in 3 tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon coconut extract. Gradually beat in 4 cups additional powdered sugar until smooth, with spreading consistency. If necessary, beat in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make spreading possible. Makes about 3-1/4 cups frosting.
- *To toast coconut: Preheat oven to 325F. Spread coconut in shallow baking pan. Heat about 5 minutes or until coconut is fragrant and just barely toasted, stirring once. Cool completely.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by abbyroad and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note