Lemon-Poppy Seed Doughnut Holes
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 131
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Protein: 1.6g
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 102mg
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Lemon glaze (recipe follows)
- 1. In a bowl, mix flour, poppy seeds, lemon peel, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla to blend. Stir into dry ingredients until well blended. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- 2. Scrape dough onto a generously floured surface. With floured hands, roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place doughnut holes on a floured baking sheet.
- 3. Meanwhile, fill an electric deep-fryer to the fill line or pour about 4 inches of oil into a 5- to 6-quart pan; heat to 375°. Using a slotted spoon to pick up one or two doughnut holes at a time, gently lower three or four holes into oil and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes (to check timing, cut first doughnut hole to test). Using slotted spoon, transfer doughnut holes to paper towels to drain. Repeat to fry remaining holes.
- 4. When cool enough to handle, roll each hole in glaze to coat. Place on a plate and let stand until glaze is set, about 2 minutes.
- Lemon glaze. In a bowl, mix 1/4 cup lemon juice and 2 cups powdered sugar until smooth.
- Nutritional analysis per doughnut hole.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch