these were part of my christmas cookie platter last year. they are just so-so. i did like the look of the poppy seeds, a nice sprinkling and contrast in color. the taste wasn't as fresh as i had hoped given the amounts of lemon juice and zest. i think the butter reduction reduced the lemon effect instead of intensifying it.
Lemon-Poppy Seed Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Beat butter and sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add grated lemon rind and lemon juice, beating unil blended.
- Combine flour, baking soda, poppy seeds, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions; roll each portion on wax paper to a 12-inch log. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Cut each log into 1/2 inch slices (about 28 slices), and place on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350º for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store cookies in an airtight container, or freeze, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This