I thought this was a delicious twist on chicken soup and will make it again.
Lemon, Orzo, and Meatball Soup
Photo: Melina Hammer; Styling: Buffy Hargett
Yield: Makes about 3 qt.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons loosely packed lemon zest, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (32-oz.) containers chicken broth
- 5 to 6 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 cup orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients, 2 tsp. lemon zest, and 1/2 tsp. rosemary in a medium bowl. Shape into 30 (1-inch) meatballs (about 1 level tablespoonful each).
- 2. Sauté meatballs, in 2 batches, in 1 Tbsp. hot oil per batch in a Dutch oven over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Remove using a slotted spoon.
- 3. Sauté onion and next 2 ingredients in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth, lemon juice, and remaining 2 tsp. zest and 1/2 tsp. rosemary. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add orzo. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, 7 to 9 minutes or until pasta is almost tender.
- 4. Stir in meatballs; simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with cheese and parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note