- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons loosely packed lemon zest, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (32-oz.) containers chicken broth
- 5 to 6 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 cup orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
How to Make It
Combine first 4 ingredients, 2 tsp. lemon zest, and 1/2 tsp. rosemary in a medium bowl. Shape into 30 (1-inch) meatballs (about 1 level tablespoonful each).
Sauté meatballs, in 2 batches, in 1 Tbsp. hot oil per batch in a Dutch oven over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Remove using a slotted spoon.
Sauté onion and next 2 ingredients in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth, lemon juice, and remaining 2 tsp. zest and 1/2 tsp. rosemary. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add orzo. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, 7 to 9 minutes or until pasta is almost tender.
Stir in meatballs; simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with cheese and parsley.