Delicious - everyone raved about it! The texture of the cake seems just right - it seems more like a "bakery cake" than "mix cake" in denseness, but tender and flavorful - and the icing complemented it perfectly!
Lemon-Orange Chiffon Cake
Serve this decadent Lemon-Orange Chiffon Cake at your next ladies' luncheon and wow the crowd with edible flowers. Take your pick at crystallizedflowers.com.
This recipe goes with Orange Slice Cake
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Lemon-Orange Buttercream Frosting
- Garnishes: edible flowers, kumquat slices
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine first 4 ingredients in bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add oil, egg yolks, and orange juice. Beat at medium-high speed 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth. Stir in zest.
- 2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into flour mixture. Spoon batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 17 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- 4. Spread Lemon-Orange Buttercream Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note