This frosting tastes very good and is refreshing. I did not try the cake that goes with it because too many reviewers said it was dry. I tried to pipe a shell border on my cake and the orange and lemon zest would clog my decorating tip. Next time I may set aside a small portion of frosting with no zest for creating borders and other decorations on the cake.
Lemon-Orange Buttercream Frosting
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Degaris Pursell
More From Southern Living
Total: 10 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 (32-oz.) package powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon additional fresh orange juice
- Beat butter, orange zest, and lemon zest at medium speed with an electric mixer 1 to 2 minutes or until creamy; gradually add powdered sugar alternately with lemon juice and 5 Tbsp. fresh orange juice, beating at low speed until blended after each addition. Add up to 1 Tbsp. additional fresh orange juice, 1 tsp. at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note