bulgur turned out sticky and musshy. and i didn't even use all 3 cups of water. I would recommend only using 2 cups.
Lemon-Mint Bulgur Risotto with Garlic Shrimp
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr
The strong mint flavor makes this risotto a great foil for the garlic-infused shrimp. Although chewy bulgur grains separate in tabbouleh, they stick together when cooked as a risotto.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup risotto and about 3 ounces shrimp)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 321
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 28.9g
- Carbohydrate: 32.3g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Cholesterol: 172mg
- Iron: 4.9mg
- Sodium: 789mg
- Calcium: 132mg
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur
- 4 cups torn spinach
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Combine water and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add green onions; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add bulgur; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add warm salted water, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of warm salted water is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Remove from heat. Add spinach, mint, rind, and juice; stir until spinach wilts. Keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and shrimp; sauté for 2 minutes or until shrimp are done. Divide risotto evenly among 4 small bowls or plates, and arrange shrimp evenly over risotto. Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes