Lemon Meringue Pie
More From Allyou
Chill: 2 Hours
Amount per serving
- Calories: 326
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 121mg
- Sodium: 247mg
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Place pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate; crimp edges. Line crust with parchment or foil and fill with raw rice. Bake pie crust for 15 minutes. Remove parchment and rice; discard. Bake crust 5 minutes longer, or until pale golden. Place crust on a wire rack to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 325ºF.
- 2. In a large saucepan, stir together 1 1/4 cups sugar, cornstarch, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 cups water, lemon juice and zest, butter and egg yolks. Bring mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly, about 5 minutes. Simmer for 1 minute, until thick; do not boil. Scrape filling into pie crust.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites with cream of tartar and 1/8 tsp. salt until soft peaks form. Whisk in remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- 4. Top pie filling with meringue, taking care to seal edges. Bake for 20 minutes, until nicely browned. Let cool on wire rack. Refrigerate for 2 hours, until set. Serve pie chilled or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts