This was delicious! We brought it to a friend's house for a potluck and everyone was raving about how good it was. One person said it tasted just like his grandma's recipe. This is definitely a keeper!
Lemon Meringue Pie
This pie is so good that you'll want to eat it right away, and that's a good idea--the delicate meringue will start to collapse after about a day.
Yield: 9 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 293
- Calories from fat: 9%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 6.8g
- Carbohydrate: 59.9g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 178mg
- Calcium: 141mg
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 8 cookie sheets)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, melted
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (6-ounce) carton lemon fat-free yogurt (such as Yoplait)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To prepare crust, combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; toss with a fork until moist. Press into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, combine lemon rind and next 3 ingredients (rind through yogurt) in a medium bowl, and set aside. Sprinkle gelatin over 3 tablespoons water in a small microwave-safe bowl; let stand 1 minute. Microwave at HIGH 15 seconds, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Stir gelatin mixture thoroughly into yogurt mixture. Spoon filling into prepared crust. Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling; chill 1 hour or until almost firm.
- To prepare the meringue, combine 2/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 240°. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed of a mixer until foamy. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg white mixture, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form. Remove the plastic wrap from filling. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing to edge of crust.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil meringue for 1 minute or until lightly browned, and cool on wire rack. Chill until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Pies/Pastries
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Bake, Broil
- OCCASION: Spring, Summer, Easter, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light