Lemon Meringue-filled Gingersnap Snowflake Cookies
Photo: Leigh Beisch; Styling: Dan Becker
Time: 1 hour. With a simple cookie cutter, you can create glamour from dough.
Yield: Makes 50 sandwich cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 105
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Protein: 1.3g
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 82mg
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- GINGERSNAP DOUGH
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves, nutmeg, and freshly ground black pepper
- LEMON MERINGUE
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 large egg whites
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- 1. Make dough: Beat butter and brown sugar together in a bowl with a mixer on medium speed. Mix in molasses, then egg, until blended, scraping bowl as needed.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices; add to butter mixture on low speed, mixing until combined.
- 3. Divide dough in half, shape each into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 3 hours.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap dough. On a generously floured surface, roll out each disk until 1/8 in. thick. Using snowflake cutters to cut out dough in various sizes, some with the centers cut out using a smaller size cutter to make a window, and arrange snowflakes about 1 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets (use a small spatula to transfer). Reroll scraps as needed.
- 5. Bake cookies until dry-looking and just starting to brown on edges, about 8 minutes. Set pans on racks and let cookies cool on pans.
- 6. Make meringue: Put sugar, lemon juice, and egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer. Set bowl over a pan filled with just enough simmering water so that bowl isn't touching water. Whisking constantly, heat mixture until egg whites are warm to the touch and sugar has dissolved, about 4 minutes. Put bowl of warm whites on mixer and whisk on medium speed until cool and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Stir in zest.
- 7. Fit a gallon-size resealable plastic bag with a star tip, snipping hole in corner of bag for tip to fit snugly (or use a pastry bag). Half-fill bag with meringue. Gather bag at top and gently pipe about 2 tbsp. meringue onto flat side of 1 cookie. Sandwich with another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies. Dust cookies on both sides with powdered sugar.
- Make ahead: Chill dough (step 3) up to 1 week. Store baked cookies airtight up to 3 days.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note