I'm wondering if the cream cheese is missing in this recipe. At the top of the recipe it states that they combine butter and cream cheese in the cake itself, but there is no cream cheese in the ingredient list except for the icing.
Lemon-Lime Layer Cake
To create a nutritionally sound layer cake that's moist and tender with luscious frosting, we use a combination of full-fat (butter), reduced-fat (1/3-less-fat cream cheese), and fat-free (egg substitute) ingredients. As with any baked good--especially one that's light--measure all ingredients carefully. Twisted lemon and lime slices are a pretty garnish that indicates the flavor of the dessert.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 319
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 5.6g
- Carbohydrate: 52.8g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 334mg
- Calcium: 78mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 10 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 (8-ounce) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted (about 10 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare the cake, coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add egg substitute and the next 3 ingredients (through 1 tablespoon juice); beat well. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spoon batter into prepared pans; tap pans once on countertop to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans. Carefully peel off wax paper. Cool completely on wire racks coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare icing, place 1 teaspoon lemon rind and next 3 ingredients (through cream cheese) in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth (about 1 minute). Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed just until blended (do not overbeat). Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup icing. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake. Chill 1 hour. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note