- 1 1/4 cups raisins
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 (1-ounce) semisweet chocolate squares, coarsely grated
- Lemon Glaze
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied orange peel (optional)
How to Make It
Combine raisins and orange juice in a small bowl, and let mixture stand at least 10 minutes.
Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg and next 3 ingredients, beating well.
Combine all-purpose flour and next 7 ingredients, stirring well; gradually add half of flour mixture to butter mixture, beating well. Add raisin mixture and grated semisweet chocolate, stirring until blended. Stir in remaining flour mixture. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, and place on lightly greased baking sheets.
Bake cookies at 350° for 9 minutes or until almost firm. Cool on baking sheets 3 minutes. Remove to wire racks, and dip warm cookies in Lemon Glaze. Press a piece of chopped candied orange peel into the center of each cookie, if desired. Cool. Store cookies in an airtight container up to 3 weeks, or freeze up to 8 months.