1. Preheat oven to 425°. Toss together first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, process flour and next 6 ingredients in a food processor 20 seconds or until mixture resembles coarse sand. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
3. Whisk together egg and cream; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened and a dough forms.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 to 4 times. Pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness using floured hands; cut with a 2-inch round cutter, and place, side by side, on a lightly greased or parchment paper-lined jelly-roll pan. (Dough rounds should touch.)
5. Bake at 425° for 18 to 23 minutes or until golden and firm to touch. Brush tops with melted butter, and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. sugar.
6. Serve shortcakes with ice cream and strawberry mixture.