A Microplane grater, available in kitchen shops for about 12, makes grating the lemon rind super easy. It only takes a minute to squeeze fresh lemon juice, and the taste is worth it.
This recipe goes with Lemon-Coconut Cake
More From Southern Living
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; whisk in 1 cup boiling water. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until sugar and cornstarch dissolve (about 2 minutes). Gradually whisk about one-fourth of hot sugar mixture into egg yolks; add to remaining hot sugar mixture in pan, whisking constantly. Whisk in lemon rind and juice.
- 2. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened (about 2 to 3 minutes). Remove from heat. Whisk in butter; let cool completely, stirring occasionally.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note