Make cupcakes with an angel food cake batter and fill the cakes with a tangy lemon curd. Top with cream cheese frosting and garnish with sprigs of lavender and lemon slices. For an impressive presentation, wrap the cupcakes in small pieces of burlap cloth or parchment paper and tie with raffia,
Southern Living APRIL 2009
1. Preheat oven to 375º. Sift together sugar, flour, and salt in a bowl. Combine lemon juice, vanilla extract, rum, and orange extract.
2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until stiff peaks form; gently transfer egg white mixture to a large bowl.
3. Gradually fold in sugar mixture with a large spatula, 1/3 cup at a time, folding just until blended after each addition. Fold in lemon juice mixture.
4. Arrange 12 (2 1/2- x 2-inch) muffin-size paper baking molds* on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet; spoon batter into baking molds, filling almost completely full.
5. Bake at 375º for 17 to 19 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
6. Make a small hole in top of each cupcake using the handle of a wooden spoon. Spoon Lemon Curd Filling into a zip-top plastic freezer bag. Snip 1 corner of bag to make a tiny hole. Pipe a generous amount of filling into each cupcake.
7. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting on tops of cupcakes. Garnish, if desired.
*15 jumbo aluminum foil baking cups may be substituted. Place baking cups directly on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet; fill cups, and proceed as directed.
For testing purposes only, we used mini round pans and Reynolds Jumbo Baking Cups.
Go to full version of