Lemon Curd and Cream Cake
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
- Lemon Curd (opposite page)
- 1 (18.25-ounce) lemon cake mix with pudding*
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- Prepare Lemon Curd.
- Beat cake mix and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl at low speed with an electric mixer until combined; increase speed to medium, and beat 2 minutes. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire rack.
- Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add sour cream, beating until mixture is spreading consistency. Chill at least 30 minutes.
- Combine hot water, 1/3 cup sugar, and lemon juice in a small bowl, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Place 1 cake layer on a cake plate; use a wooden pick to poke holes in cake 1/2-inch apart. Slowly pour half of sugar syrup mixture over cake layer until liquid is absorbed. Spread 1 cup Lemon Curd over layer. Top with remaining cake layer; use a wooden pick to poke holes in cake 1/2-inch apart. Pour remaining syrup over layer, and top with remaining Lemon Curd, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border around edge of cake. Spread sour cream frosting on sides of cake, and on 1 1/2-inch border around top edge of cake, leaving Lemon Curd visible. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Store in refrigerator.
- *For testing purposes only, we used Betty Crocker SuperMoist Cake Mix.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Lemon Curd and Cream Cake Recipe at a Glance