Lemon Cupcakes with Lavender Frosting
No time to make the frosting? Simply top the cupcakes with sweetened whipped cream. Find dried lavender buds or tea in spice stores, high-end markets, or amazon.com. Use food coloring to dye the frosting pale purple, if desired.
More From Southern Living
Total: 5 Hours, 50 Minutes
- Gelatin Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup coconut water*
- 1 cup lemon-flavored sparkling beverage
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 12 paper baking cups
- 12 (2-inch) round shortbread cookies
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender buds
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Prepare Cupcakes: Whisk together first 2 ingredients in a medium saucepan; whisk in coconut water and sparkling beverage. Cook over medium-low heat 2 minutes, whisking just until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and whisk in lemon juice. Let stand 2 minutes.
- 2. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Spoon 1/4 cup gelatin mixture into each cup of pan. Chill 4 hours or until completely set.
- 3. Gently run a small knife around the edges of each muffin cup, and invert a baking sheet over muffin pan. Holding baking sheet and pan together, invert and hold under hot running water until gelatin cakes unmold from muffin pan onto baking sheet.
- 4. Place 12 baking cups on a serving tray; place 1 cookie in each baking cup. Top each with a gelatin cake. Chill 1 to 2 hours.
- 5. Meanwhile, prepare Frosting: Process lavender and 1 cup sugar in a food processor 1 minute or until lavender is finely crushed.
- 6. Pour water to depth of 2 inches into bottom of a double boiler over medium-low heat; bring to a simmer. Place egg whites, cream of tartar, and lavender mixture in top of double boiler over simmering water. Cook mixture, whisking constantly, 9 to 10 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165°.
- 7. Remove from heat, and beat at high speed with an electric mixer, using whisk attachment, 3 to 4 minutes or until stiff, glossy peaks form. Stir in vanilla.
- 8. Spoon frosting into a zip-top plastic freezer bag. (Do not seal.) Snip 1 corner of bag to make a small hole. Pipe frosting onto each gelatin cupcake. Serve immediately.
- *1 additional cup lemon-flavored sparkling beverage may substitute.
- Note: Feel free to make these using a jumbo or mini muffin pan.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This