I couldn't get enough rind out of my lemon so I was a little worried. Then, it tasted a little bland when it was at room temperature, so i worried even more. I also thought maybe a graham cracker crust would be better than pillsbury. But everyone at the party loved it and asked for the recipe! The lemon flavor came out really nice once it was chilled.
Lemon Cream Pie
This lightened cream pie classic is sweet-tart perfection and a delicious lemon ending to any meal. You'll love the make-ahead convenience. Brush edges of crust with egg wash for nice browning.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 4 Hours
- Calories: 264
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 34.8g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 296mg
- Calcium: 72mg
- 1/2 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Fold edges under, and flute. Bake piecrust according to package directions. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 2. Combine sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons rind, and the next 4 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring well. Combine milk and cheese in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until mixture reaches 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Gradually add the hot milk mixture to sugar mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan, and cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in butter.
- 3. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 10 minutes or until the mixture cools to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Spoon filling into prepared crust, and cover surface of filling with plastic wrap. Chill for 3 hours or until set, and remove plastic wrap. Spread the whipped topping evenly over chilled pie, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note