Lemon-Cream Cheese Strudel
Laura Klesper reports that her husband got hooked on cream cheese strudel during a trip to Germany and Austria. When he requested a reproduction of the dessert at home, she came up with this surprisingly easy variation.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 419
- Calories from fat: 69%
- Protein: 7.5g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 252mg
- Cholesterol: 89mg
- 1 sheet (half of a 17-oz. package) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1. Unfold pastry on a lightly floured board. With a floured rolling pin, roll pastry into a neat 10- by 14-inch rectangle.
- 2. In a bowl, with a mixer, beat cream cheese, egg, powdered sugar, lemon peel, and lemon juice until well blended.
- 3. Spoon cream cheese mixture down center of longest dimension of pastry to within 1 inch of each end; spread evenly to make a 4-inch-wide band. Fold 1 long pastry edge over filling; brush top of edge with water. Fold remaining edge over filling, overlapping opposite side of pastry. Pinch pastry ends to seal. With 2 wide spatulas, gently lift the roll and lay, seam down, on a lightly buttered 14- by 17-inch baking sheet. With a sharp knife, make shallow slashes at 1-inch intervals across the pastry. Sprinkle pastry evenly with granulated sugar.
- 4. Bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until strudel is deep golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on pan at least 5 minutes. Serve warm or cool. Cut into 6 to 8 equal slices and transfer to plates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This