- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen sliced rhubarb, thawed
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and undrained
- 3/4 cup medium stone-ground cornmeal (such as Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 cup boiling water
- Cooking spray
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium baking powder (such as Rumford)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- calories 334
- fat 8.7 g
- satfat 4.5 g
- monofat 2.7 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 8.9 g
- carbohydrate 57.8 g
- fiber 4.2 g
- cholesterol 72 mg
- iron 1.8 mg
- sodium 444 mg
- calcium 237 mg
How to Make It
To prepare compote, combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and keep warm.
To prepare waffles, combine cornmeal and 1 cup boiling water in a large bowl. Let stand 20 minutes or until cooled to room temperature.
Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray; preheat.
Add eggs to cornmeal mixture; stir with a whisk to combine. Stir in butter, 2 teaspoons rind, and juice. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through baking soda) in a bowl; stir to combine. Add flour mixture to cornmeal mixture. Combine low-fat yogurt and milk in a bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add yogurt mixture to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until combined.
Spoon about 1/4 cup batter per 4-inch waffle onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter to edges. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until done; repeat procedure with remaining batter.
To prepare topping, combine Greek yogurt and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir until smooth. Serve waffles with warm compote and yogurt topping.