Lemon Coconut Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting
A delicious lemon curd filling adds a welcome hit of tartness to this creamy cake. The whipped cream frosting is a nice change from the traditional cream cheese frosting.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned or fresh)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 1 teaspoon lemon extract)
- 1 cup lemon curd
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, soaked in 1/4 cup bourbon or brandy, drained
- Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut (toasted, if desired)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Lightly grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans; line bottoms with wax paper, and set aside.
- 3. Sift together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- 4. Cream together butter and sugar in a separate large bowl at high speed with an electric mixer until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition, and beat 2 more minutes or until light and fluffy.
- 5. Stir together buttermilk and next 3 ingredients in a separate bowl.
- 6. Mix flour and milk mixtures alternately into egg mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, scraping down the side of the bowl between each addition. (Be careful not to overmix.)
- 7. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans, and gently smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until cakes have risen and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 8. Remove cakes from oven, and cool for 15 minutes in pans on a cooling rack. Turn cakes out of pans onto rack, and let cool completely before frosting.
- 9. Place 1 layer on a cake plate with the flat (bottom) side up. Spread lemon curd evenly over cake. Sprinkle cranberries evenly over lemon curd. Spread 1 cup Whipped Cream Frosting over lemon curd and cranberries, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup coconut.
- 10. Top with second layer, and spread the top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Press remaining coconut evenly around cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts