Lemon-Coconut Angel Food Cake
More From Coastal Living
Bake: 27 Minutes
Cool: 30 Minutes
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Caramel-Orange Sauce
- Candied Lemons (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat egg whites and salt at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Beat in vanilla and lemon juice. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, beating until firm peaks form. Fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Fold in coconut and lemon zest.
- 2. Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Cut through batter with a knife to break air pockets. Bake 27 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely.
- 3. Loosen cake from sides of pan, and invert onto a plate. Drizzle with Caramel-Orange Sauce; top with Candied Lemons, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note