This is a can't miss dessert! I served it last night for a dinner party and it got rave reviews! All plates were cleaned! Not too sweet, and it was light and very satisfying! Will do this one again soon!
Lemon Cloud with Strawberry-Mint Compote
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
Here's a case where you want your soufflés to fall. As they do, the lemon flavor intensifies, and the texture becomes almost cakelike. Any berries will work in place of the strawberries.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 187
- Calories from fat: 9%
- Fat: 1.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 65mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 large egg whites
- Dash of salt
- 2 cups quartered small strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- To prepare cloud, preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly coat a 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar, shaking out excess. Place dish on a baking sheet.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Stir in lemon rind, juice, and egg yolks. Place over medium heat; cook for 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; immediately scrape mixture into a glass bowl. Cool to room temperature.
- Place egg whites and salt in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 30 seconds or until foamy. Increase mixer speed to high. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating just until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Spoon into prepared dish. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Remove from oven, and cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Cover and chill.
- To prepare compote, combine strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and mint; toss gently. Cover and chill. Serve with lemon cloud.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Lemon Cloud with Strawberry-Mint Compote Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts