More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 379
- Calories from fat: 4%
- Protein: 37g
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sodium: 138mg
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- 1 red bell pepper (about 1/2 lb.)
- 1/4 pound edible pea pods
- 2 cups precooked dried white rice
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken breasts
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh serrano or jalapeño chilies
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (including tops)
- 1. Rinse, stem, and seed bell pepper, then cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- 2. Remove and discard stem ends and strings from pea pods. Rinse pods and cut in half crosswise.
- 3. Put rice in a wide 3- to 4-quart bowl.
- 4. Rinse chicken breasts and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- 5. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, bring 2 cups broth to a boil. Pour over rice, cover, and let stand until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender to bite, about 7 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- 6. Meanwhile, return pan to heat. Add chicken and stir until surface is no longer pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, pea pods, chilies, and lemon peel. Stir just until chicken is no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), about 5 minutes.
- 7. Blend cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth. Stir into pan and continue stirring until mixture boils, about 1 minute. Add lemon juice.
- 8. Pour chicken over rice. Sprinkle with green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This