1. Rinse, stem, and seed bell pepper, then cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
2. Remove and discard stem ends and strings from pea pods. Rinse pods and cut in half crosswise.
3. Put rice in a wide 3- to 4-quart bowl.
4. Rinse chicken breasts and cut into 1-inch chunks.
5. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, bring 2 cups broth to a boil. Pour over rice, cover, and let stand until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender to bite, about 7 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
6. Meanwhile, return pan to heat. Add chicken and stir until surface is no longer pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, pea pods, chilies, and lemon peel. Stir just until chicken is no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), about 5 minutes.
7. Blend cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth. Stir into pan and continue stirring until mixture boils, about 1 minute. Add lemon juice.
8. Pour chicken over rice. Sprinkle with green onions.