Bland. Far blander than the reviews indicated. Even used a larger salt content, more lemon zest, and more garlic. Only Texas Pete made it passable. Will not make again.
Photo: Southern Living
Yield: Makes 5 1/2 qt.
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 15 Minutes
- 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (1-lb.) package carrots, sliced
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Toppings: cooked barley, cooked green beans, lemon slices
- 1. Bring chicken and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour.
- 2. Remove chicken, reserving liquid, and let cool 15 minutes. Shred chicken.
- 3. Pour reserved cooking liquid through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding solids; wipe Dutch oven clean. Add water to cooking liquid to equal 10 cups.
- 4. Sauté onion, celery, and garlic in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add shredded chicken, cooking liquid, carrots, and next 3 ingredients. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 20 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add parsley. Serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This