Absolutely delicious and simple to make, this dish is a celebration of flavor and a welcome substitute to the old hamburger with ketchup. The only recommendation I would make is to put the green onions on top of the burgers rather than in the meat.
Lemon Chicken Pita Burgers with Spiced Yogurt Sauce
You can also serve the chicken patties with couscous tossed with golden raisins.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed pita halves)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 426
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 28.9g
- Carbohydrate: 46.4g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 776mg
- Calcium: 137mg
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan or Greek seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- Combine first 6 ingredients; add 1 teaspoon rind, stirring well. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into 1/4-inch-thick oval patties.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1 teaspoon rind, yogurt, and oregano, stirring well. Fill each pita half with 1 patty, 1 tablespoon yogurt mixture, 1/4 cup lettuce, and 1 tablespoon tomato.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes