Lemon Cashew Chicken Salad
An unusual, fresh-tasting version that's lower in fat than the standard but not at all dry, thanks to the thick, creamy yogurt that replaces half the mayo. Prep and Cook Time: about 45 minutes. Notes: Serve on lettuce if you like, or use to fill a sandwich, maybe with sweet onion for crunch—or, in summer, a slice of ripe tomato.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 273
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 4.2g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 860mg
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3 medium lemons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 to 3 tbsp. finely chopped jalapeño chile
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup low-fat or whole milk Greek strained yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 4 cups shredded white and dark chicken meat (from one 2 1/2- to 3-lb. rotisserie chicken)
- Chopped cashews
- 1. In a medium frying pan over low heat, toast cumin and coriander seeds until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer seeds to a spice grinder and process until finely ground. Zest lemons and set aside zest. Juice 1 lemon and set aside 3 tbsp. juice.
- 2. Melt butter in the frying pan over medium heat. Add ginger, jalapeño, and salt. Cook until jalapeño is soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, ginger-jalapeño mixture, and ground spices. Add cilantro, green onions, and chicken; stir to coat well with dressing. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Sprinkle with cashews and serve.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note