These shortcakes have a burst of lemony flavor baked inside. Use any assortment of berries you like—raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries—as long as the total amount is 3 cups.
Oxmoor House OCTOBER 2006
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Combine sugar and lemon rind in a small bowl; set aside.
3. Place preserves and water in a large skillet; cook over medium heat until preserves melt. Stir in 1 tablespoon sugar mixture, lemon juice, and berries. Cook 1 minute or until sugar dissolves.
4. Lightly spoon baking mix into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine baking mix, milk, and remaining sugar mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moist.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; pat dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
6. Bake at 425° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Split shortcakes in half; spoon berries evenly over bottom halves of shortcakes. Dollop each serving with 1 tablespoon whipped topping, and top with remaining halves.
Go to full version of