These cookies are so terrific!!! Just the right balance between sweet and plain. I absolutely love them and give them as gifts at Christmas!
Chilling the dough will help cookies hold their shape while baking. We don't recommend substituting dried basil in this recipe.
More From Southern Living
Chill: 1 Hour
Bake: 12 Minutes
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup minced fresh lemon basil leaves*
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Beat butter at medium speed with electric mixer until fluffy; add 3/4 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg and next 3 ingredients, beating until blended.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Combine nuts and 3 tablespoons sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in nut mixture, and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with hands or bottom of a glass.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- *Fresh sweet basil may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note