This was very good, my almonds did not burn, just light brown. A nice light finish to a meal. Served it with Curried coconut mussels also in this issue. Thank you!
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Total: 36 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 207
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 7g
- Carbohydrate: 29.2g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 117mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1.13 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1. Place a baking sheet in oven. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Lightly coat 6 (8-ounce) ramekins with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons sugar, tilting dishes to coat sides completely.
- 3. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until thick and pale (about 2 minutes). Add 3/4 cup buttermilk and next 4 ingredients (through flour); beat at medium speed just until blended.
- 4. Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Using clean dry beaters, beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until medium peaks form.
- 5. Gently stir one-fourth of egg whites into lemon mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Gently spoon mixture into prepared ramekins. Sharply tap dishes 2 or 3 times on counter to level. Sprinkle evenly with almonds. Place dishes on preheated baking sheet; return baking sheet to 425° oven. Immediately reduce oven temperature to 350°; bake soufflés at 350° for 20 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts